BODY CONTOURING AFTER WEIGHT LOSS
Conveniently located to serve Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Los Angeles, NYC, and Miami.
Right for you?
Am I a Candidate for Body Contouring after Weight Loss?
If you have cosmetic, hygienic, or other physical concerns due to the effects of major weight loss, you may be a good candidate for body contouring. When you meet with Dr. Emer for your initial consultation, he will perform a physical examination, review relevant medical records, and learn about your goals for treatment. After assessing your needs, he will create a personalized treatment plan for completing your weight loss transformation.
Candidates for post-weight loss body contouring must:
- Have reached and remained at their target weight for at least six months
- Be in good general health
- Agree to adhere to all pre-op and post-op instructions
- Have realistic expectations for their treatment results
- Be fully recovered from any prior weight loss surgery
- Understand that post-procedure weight fluctuations can negatively affect their body contouring results
Why Undergo Body Contouring after Weight Loss
Patients can have multiple reasons for choosing to undergo post-weight loss body sculpting. Common motivations for body contouring after weight loss include:
- Aesthetic concerns – The extreme effects of massive weight loss on your physical appearance can make it incredibly difficult to feel confident and comfortable in your body even after reaching your target weight. Major weight loss can leave you with lumpy, asymmetrical, or otherwise irregular contours, and the loss of large amounts of volume can cause a “deflated” look.
- Mobility challenges – Hanging folds of skin can make it hard to perform even basic movements. Impaired mobility due to the bulk and weight of excess skin is often an impediment to exercise, which is a crucial aspect of restoring a patient’s health, as well as to long-term weight management. Loose, drooping tissue in the lower abdominal and pubic areas can interfere with a patient’s sexual function, as well.
- Skin irritation and/or infection – Patients with large quantities of excess skin frequently develop painful and uncomfortable skin conditions. In the normal course of a day, deep skin folds are subject to moisture and friction that can lead to skin irritation and fungal and/or bacterial infections.
- Musculoskeletal pain – When patients have significant amounts of hanging skin after weight loss, their joints and muscles can be put under considerable strain. Depending on where the excess skin is carried, their posture may suffer, which can lead to additional musculoskeletal issues.
WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE FOR BODY CONTOURING AFTER WEIGHT LOSS?
When you choose Dr. Emer’s medical practice in Beverly Hills for body contouring after weight loss, you benefit from comprehensive surgical and non-surgical options. Some of the most frequently performed post-weight loss body shaping procedures include:
Skin Removal Surgery after Weight Loss (Body Lifting)
The aesthetic, mobility, and hygiene-related issues caused by loose, excess skin are often the most pressing concerns for patients, especially those who have lost massive weight after bariatric surgery. The reason so many patients require surgical skin removal after weight loss is that in order to accommodate a patient’s larger proportions as he or she gained weight, their skin had to stretch.
The indented and/or discolored streaks, or striae, we know as stretch marks are evidence of that process. In patients who become considerably overweight or obese, skin is stretched to the point of becoming inelastic. This means it no longer has the ability to retract and cannot naturally adjust to fit a patient’s post-weight loss shape.
For surgical skin removal, Dr. Emer entrusts his patients’ care to double board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Yoel Rojas. Dr. Rojas can expertly trim away excess skin and then redrape the remaining skin to fit more smoothly to your slimmer contours. This procedure can be performed to address stretched, inelastic skin throughout the body, including areas like the:
- Upper abdomen
- Lower abdomen
- Upper arms
- Mons pubis
- Abdominal pannus
Skin excision is frequently performed as part of body lift procedures designed to eliminate excess skin, remove small amounts of unwanted fat, and reposition and reshape tissue. Body lift procedures can improve the contours of the upper and lower body and include plastic surgeries like:
- Arm lift
- Thigh lift
- Tummy tuck
- Buttock lift
- Lower body lift (circumferential body lift)
Liposuction after Massive Weight Loss
Stubborn fat deposits that do not respond to your weight loss efforts can be permanently eliminated with liposuction. Dr. Emer and Dr. Rojas are trained in several minimally invasive liposuction techniques, which means they can provide incredibly effective and safe fat removal in almost any area of the body.
Based on the specific anatomy and treatment goals of a patient, Dr. Emer and Dr. Rojas will employ one or more liposuction methods, such as:
- Water-assisted liposuction with the Body Jet system
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (VASER)
- Power-assisted liposuction
- Radiofrequency-assisted liposuction
Typically, Dr. Rojas and Dr. Emer will follow liposuction with BodyTite or Renuvion skin tightening. These devices deliver radiofrequency energy internally to heat the underlying skin structures to ensure smooth, taut skin after fat removal.
Women are often affected by drooping breast tissue, abnormal nipple position, and “deflated” breasts after weight loss. Dr. Rojas is able to resolve these issues by performing one or more breast surgeries.
After major weight loss, breast lift surgery, or mastopexy, is typically necessary to elevate the breast position and reshape the breast tissue. During this process, loose skin will also be removed.
A breast lift can be paired with breast augmentation for patients who desire an increase in volume and those who wish to restore lost volume. Dr. Rojas provides breast augmentation with saline breast implants, silicone breast implants, and/or fat transfer.
How to Prepare for Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring Surgery
Preparation for post-weight loss body contouring involves taking safety precautions as well as planning for your recovery. Some essential aspects of your pre-op responsibilities include:
- Adjusting your medications
- Completing applicable medical evaluations
- Stopping tobacco and alcohol usage
- Coordinating with a friend or family member for transportation home after your surgery
- Arranging for assistance around the house during the first few days of your recovery
What to Expect During Body Contouring Surgery
Your procedure will be meticulously tailored to your treatment goals and unique anatomy. The exact details of your body contouring surgery, including an estimate of the total operating time, will be reviewed with you during your consultation.
All body contouring surgeries are performed with the use of anesthesia, so you will not feel any discomfort. Once you are under the effect of the anesthesia, our surgeon can make the necessary incisions and modifications associated with your treatment plan.
Sutures, staples, and/or surgical tape or glue may be used to close your incisions. Our surgeons take extreme care to use incision closure techniques that minimize post-op marks.
The incisions will be dressed, and compression garments may be placed to conclude your procedure. You will then be taken to a quiet, comfortable room and monitored until our surgeon determines that you can safely continue your recovery at home.
Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring Results
You will begin to see the results of your procedure as post-op swelling subsides in the weeks following your procedure. It may take six months or more to complete the healing process and see the full effect of your body contouring surgery. Depending on the specifics of your treatment, your body contouring procedure results can include:
- A reduction in fat
- Elimination of hanging skin
- Firmer, tighter contours
- Increased mobility
- Greater self-confidence
How to Maintain Your Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring Results
Patients who commit to consistent exercise and eating a nutritious diet can enjoy long-lasting results after body contouring. The natural aging process will eventually start to have an effect on the tightness and firmness of your post-op shape. However, Dr. Emer can help you mitigate the age-related changes in your contours with a customized protocol of non-surgical skin rejuvenation and body shaping treatments such as:
- BTL Exilis Ultra
- Thread lifting
- BTL Vanquish ME
In addition to your personalized regimen of skin tightening, muscle building, and fat reduction procedures, you can support long-term results with treatments that work internally, including:
- Hormonal optimization
- Peptide therapy
What to Expect During Your Recovery from Post-Weight Loss Body Contouring
Complete recovery from body contouring after weight loss will take several weeks. The extent of your surgery and your body’s natural rate of healing will impact the length of your recovery. To promote efficient healing and the best possible outcome, plan to follow your surgeon’s instructions regarding:
A week or more of downtime can be expected after body contouring surgery. This initial stage of recovery is when post-op symptoms like swelling, bruising, and soreness will peak. It is important that you devote much of this time to rest to support the body’s healing processes.
You will need to limit the frequency and intensity of your physical activities for a month or more, as directed. However, gentle walks and other light activities will be encouraged once healing has progressed sufficiently.
Incorporating approved, non-strenuous movement is an important aspect of your recovery, as it promotes healthy blood circulation. Our surgeon will advise you when you can reintroduce moderate-intensity activities and, from there, transition to a routine that includes vigorous exercise and heavy lifting.
In order for our surgeon to evaluate your healing progress and advise you regarding appropriate activities at each stage of your recovery, you will need to return to the office periodically for follow-up appointments.
What Aftercare Therapies Are Best After Body Contouring Surgery?
Dr. Emer advises post-weight loss body contouring patients to take advantage of the aftercare therapies offered at his medical practice. It is possible to significantly enhance your results and expedite healing by following Dr. Emer’s recommendations for post-op treatments like:
- IV therapy – IV therapy is an excellent way to replenish key nutrients and rehydrate the body after cosmetic surgery.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) – This simple, yet effective, therapy involves breathing pure oxygen while in a pressurized chamber. The result is an increased oxygen level in the blood, which supports tissue repair.
- Lymphatic massage – A massage therapist trained in lymphatic drainage techniques can help reduce discomfort and swelling after body contouring surgery. Lymphatic massage assists with releasing lymphatic fluid and moving it to the lymph nodes.
- Shockwave therapy – Dr. Emer uses devices like BTL Cellutone and eVive to manipulate tissue in the treatment area(s). These devices employ controlled vibrations which encourage healing and help to smooth away contour irregularities.
- Radiofrequency therapy – A combination of shockwave therapy and external radiofrequency (RF) treatments with Venus Legacy, BTL Exilis Ultra, or BTL Vanquish ME can maximize the effects of body contouring surgery and help you recover in less time.
How Much Does Body Contouring After Weight Loss Cost?
Since every post-weight loss body contouring surgery varies in terms of the specific procedure(s) performed, the price differs from one patient to the next. After our surgeon has created your personalized treatment plan, the associated cost details will be reviewed with you.