Conveniently located to serve Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Los Angeles, NYC, and Miami.
Right for you?
Am I a Good Candidate for LYMPHATIC MASSAGE?
If you have had a cosmetic procedure involving liposuction, surgical skin removal, implant placement, or surgical body lifting, you may be an excellent candidate for lymphatic massage in Beverly Hills. Additionally, lymphatic massage can be beneficial for patients who have not undergone cosmetic surgery but are affected by conditions like:
- Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic congestion
Patients with certain health issues, such as heart, kidney, or liver conditions, may not be good candidates for manual lymph drainage. Be sure to consult with your physician or surgeon before pursuing this treatment.
What to Expect During Lymphatic Massage
Unlike deep tissue massage and many other massage techniques, lymphatic massage involves applying light pressure without the use of lotions or oils on the skin. A treatment session can last 15-60 minutes.
The massage therapist will use gentle, rhythmic movements in specific areas of the body to promote the flow of lymphatic fluid. These movements may involve light compression, cupping, and/or stretching motions. Lymphatic drainage massage is not painful, nor will it cause the skin to become red.
There are two stages of lymph drainage massage. First, a clearing technique is used. This process invites fluid in, which works to flush the area of stagnant, unpurified lymph.
Clearing is performed at multiple sites, including the axillary lymph area, which is under the arms. Supraclavicular lymph clearing refers to clearing the area under the collarbone. The inside of the elbows will also be targeted for clearing.
The second stage is reabsorption. During this step, techniques are used to encourage optimal distribution of lymphatic fluids.
What to Expect After Lymphatic Massage
Rehydration and proper nutrition are essential for enhancing the effects of lymphatic massage. You will need to drink extra water, as directed, after lymphatic drainage massage. This will help to flush waste and toxins from the body. You will also be advised to keep processed foods out of your diet and instead to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
Benefits of Lymphatic Massage After Liposuction and Cosmetic Surgery
Optimizing the flow of lymphatic fluid can provide many benefits to patients recovering from plastic surgery, including:
- Flushing toxins and debris from bodily tissues
- Encouraging proper circulation of the blood
- Decreasing swelling
- Improving immune system functions
- Shortening your recovery time
- Reducing the risk of infection
- Accelerating your results
- Enhancing the procedure outcome
- Minimizing scar tissue formation
- Preventing the development of lumps and other contour irregularities
How Many Lymph Drainage Massages Will I Need?
The recommended number and frequency of lymphatic massage sessions varies depending on the procedure(s) performed. Typically, daily message sessions are advised for the first 7-14 days, followed by bi-weekly sessions for up to a month. Weekly lymphatic drainage massages can then be continued until complete healing has occurred.
Are There Additional Therapies to Support Recovery from Cosmetic Surgery?
Dr. Emer provides patients access to several post-op aftercare therapies in addition to lymphatic massage, including:
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) – HBOT assists in boosting the concentration of oxygen in your blood to encourage healing. Daily HBOT sessions are generally advised for the first week or two of your recovery.
- IV therapy – Intravenous (IV) therapy allows you to quickly replenish depleted levels of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients after plastic surgery, so your body has the energy and resources it needs to recover.
- Vibration therapy – Bi-weekly treatments with devices like ZWave and Cellutone are recommended to enhance the effects of body contouring surgeries and promote expedient healing.
- Radiofrequency (RF) therapy – Dr. Emer pairs vibration therapy with RF treatments using devices like BTL Vanquish, BTL Exilis Ultra, or Venus Legacy to maximize the improvements achieved with body sculpting surgery.
How Much Does Lymphatic Massage Cost?
The price of lymphatic massage varies based on the patient’s specific needs. The overall cost of your lymphatic drainage treatment will be discussed with you prior to scheduling your massage session(s).