Scars, divots, defects, and depressions in our skin can put a serious dent in our self-confidence. Whether the result of aging, volume loss, injuries, acne, cellulite, prior surgeries, or botched procedures, these textural irregularities detract from our natural beauty and adversely affect our overall appearance. For years, patients have sought out Dr. Jason Emer’s unrivaled expertise with non-surgical cosmetic enhancements to obtain smooth, indentation-free skin. A board-certified dermatologist specializing in facial rejuvenation and body contouring, Dr. Emer uses a range of devices, treatments, and methodologies to achieve a flawless, even skin texture, including innovative approaches such as Renuva Adipose Matrix synthetic fat grafting.
While dermal fillers and autologous fat grafting are both popular injectable treatments for small-volume irregularities and textural improvements in the skin, these methods are not ideal for some patients. Dermal fillers are only a short-term solution, and autologous fat grafting (using fat from your own body) is not an option for those who are too lean or athletic or those who are apprehensive about a Hi-Definition Liposuction procedure. Thanks to advancements in regenerative medicine, Renuva Adipose Matrix is an effective, FDA-approved, permanent solution that uses purified synthetic fat derived from donors.
Dr. Emer uses this small-area volumetric treatment to address a wide range of concerns and irregularities, including:
- minor defects, divots, or indentations in the skin
- cellulite or dimpling in the thighs and buttocks
- facial volume loss, hollows, and folds
- facial contouring and sculpting, including augmentation of the temples, cheeks, and lips
- atrophic acne scars
- hand rejuvenation
- muscular definition, contouring, and volumization in the chest, shoulders, abdominals, biceps, and calves
- natural breast augmentation
- non-surgical Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
- non-surgical penile enlargement
How does Renuva work?
Renuva is an allograft (i.e. a tissue graft from a donor) adipose matrix specifically designed to treat small-volume aesthetic irregularities. The product is derived from cadavers’ fat cells, which are meticulously tested, screened, and purified. The fat cells are also hydrated in fluid to ensure smooth administration to the desired treatment areas.
Once injected, Renuva forms a matrix or supportive framework beneath the skin and recruits your existing surrounding fat cells to repopulate and build volume in the area. The result is an instant plumping effect, enhanced long-term collagen production, and improved skin texture and tone over the course of 3 to 6 months. After that period of time, Dr. Emer can determine if additional treatments would be beneficial to further improve the results.
Dr. Emer often combines both Renuva Adipose Matrix and autologous fat grafting with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and Sculptra injections to provide additional volume and collagen production.
How long do Renuva improvements last?
When injected properly, both synthetic fat grafting and autologous fat transfers offer permanent improvement in skin tone, texture, volume, and contouring. A series of treatments are often needed to adequately produce the desired textural and volume enhancements. Dr. Emer recommends that his patients schedule Renuva treatments every 6 to 12 weeks until optimal improvement is achieved.
How does Dr. Emer do it differently?
Non-surgical treatments require innovative combination approaches to achieve visible, long-term improvements. Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Jason Emer is a pioneer of countless combination procedures — all customized to meet the unique needs of each individual patient — that pair groundbreaking products like Renuva with new modes of treatment, advanced technologies, revolutionary techniques, and state-of-the-art devices to dramatically improve the skin’s appearance.
- For non-surgical facial sculpting and contouring, Dr. Emer uses strategically placed fillers (such as Voluma, Radiesse, and Bellafill), silicone injections, Sculptra, autologous fat grafting, and/or Renuva synthetic fat grafting to correct volume loss; fill indentations; improve under eye hollows and dark circles; augment the cheeks, temples, and lips; and improve overall facial balance.
- Dr. Emer’s volumetric treatment for atrophic or depressed acne scars includes Renuva Adipose Matrix for deep volume improvement and semi-permanent dermal fillers (such as Bellafill) to help fill the scar over time. These injectables are combined with a procedure called subcision, in which a sharp needle or cannula is used to break apart and elevate tethered down scars.
- Hand rejuvenation is best achieved with a combination of dermal fillers (such as Restylane, Radiesse, and Belotero), autologous fat grafting or Renuva Adipose Matrix, PRP, chemical peels, and non-ablative laser skin resurfacing.
- As part of his highly popular Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) procedure, in which fat is injected into the buttock for contouring and lifting, Dr. Emer often complements fat grafting with semi-permanent fillers such as Bellafill and Renuva synthetic fat grafting for added volume and definition as well as improvement in cellulite and indentations; Sculptra injections to stimulate collagen production and create additional volume and lift; non-surgical thread lifting with Silhouette InstaLift; radiofrequency (RF) energy treatments (such as Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra, Thermage, and InMode Forma/Contoura) to promote skin tightening and stimulate collagen production; and vibration / shockwave therapy treatments (Cellutone, eVIVE, and ZWave) to improve the skin’s texture and aid in cellulite reduction.
- For patients with cellulite and/or dimpling on the buttocks or thighs, Dr. Emer creates a patient-tailored treatment plan that typically includes Cellfina for cellulite; Renuva Adipose Matrix or autologous fat injections; injectable fillers like Bellafill; Sculptra for large-area collagen production; energy-based devices like Exilis Ultra and Venus Legacy for skin tightening; and shockwave therapy devices (Cellutone, eVIVE, or ZWave) for further textural improvement.
- For women seeking a natural breast augmentation without implants, Dr. Emer combines Renuva Adipose Matrix or autologous fat grafting with PRP to provide minor lifting and volumization of the breasts. Dr. Emer’s expert plastic surgeons and breast augmentation specialists also use fat in conjunction with surgical breast augmentation procedures to provide additional fullness and roundness to the upper breasts.
Is Renuva safe?
Yes, Renuva Adipose Matrix is safe for use for all individuals. The donor fat is screened, tested, and purified prior as part of the manufacturing process, minimizing the risk of infection or complications.
What is the downtime for Renuva?
As with any injectable treatment, there may be some sensitivity, discomfort, or redness in the treatment area, but there is minimal downtime following the procedure. Although swelling may persist for up to 2 weeks after injection, patients can resume everyday activities immediately following the treatment.
Am I a good candidate for Renuva Adipose Matrix?
While Renuva has a wide range of applications, synthetic donor fat is primarily intended for small-volume improvements, such as atrophic scars, cellulite, and stubborn dimples. For those seeking high-volume enhancements, Dr. Emer may propose alternative solutions, including autologous fat transfer via a Hi-Definition Liposuction procedure and/or surgical implants for significant improvement. A combination of Renuva with Sculptra or Bellafill may also provide a greater degree of volumization. To determine if Renuva is the best solution for you, schedule a formal evaluation with a board-certified dermatologist and fat grafting specialist like Dr. Emer, who can assess your needs and create a long-term treatment plan to meet your aesthetic goals.
How do I schedule a consultation with Dr. Emer?
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Emer in Beverly Hills / Los Angeles / West Hollywood, California, please reach out to our concierge to schedule an appointment. Call 424-800-4140 or email us at [email protected]
Share this blog on Social Media!
Share on Facebook | Share on Twitter | Share on Linkedin | Share on Pinterest