Board-certified dermatologist and world-renowned facial sculptor Dr. Jason Emer has been helping men subtly enhance their appearance with dermal fillers since before it was the rapidly growing trend it is now. About 50% of his dermal filler patients are men, and Dr. Emer has developed specific dermal filler approaches to meet the needs of his male clientele.
Recently, Dr. Emer talked with AEDIT about lip filler for men, sharing his expertise, experience, and insights regarding:
- Why lip filler is key to optimal facial sculpting results for men
- The best lip fillers for men
- What to expect with a lip filler treatment
- How to enhance lip filler results
- Advice for male patients seeking lip filler treatment for the first time
The Benefits of Lip Filler for Men
Among our facial features, the lips draw a lot of attention and play a major role in creating balance between the upper and lower face. Perfectly proportionate, plump lips are certainly not a genetic guarantee, and the natural aging process can have a dramatic effect on the size and shape of the lips as well.
While women have long-embraced lip enhancement to create a more sensual and feminine facial appearance, lip filler for men has only recently started to gain traction as an important functional element of sculpting a masculine facial appearance. Dr. Emer’s male patients are often hesitant about treating the lips because they associate lip fillers with dramatic augmentation. However, this misconception is slowly changing.
Dr. Emer has found that creating a harmonious, youthful, and natural-looking facial appearance requires a holistic approach rather than targeting one single facial feature. In Dr. Emer’s experience, lip fillers are often crucial for male facial sculpting patients in order to provide balance and comprehensive anti-aging improvements.
The general decline of social stigma surrounding cosmetic enhancement treatments for men has allowed for more public discussions about treatments like lip fillers. Additionally, men are becoming more open about cosmetic treatments and more willing to share their experiences and results.
Dr. Emer tailors his male lip filler treatments to the unique anatomy and desired outcome of each patient. According to Dr. Emer, many men have a smaller upper lip that can easily be overshadowed or concealed by facial hair or result in a toothy smile.
In these cases, Dr. Emer uses a conservative approach to add just enough volume to the upper lip to make it more prominent yet still smaller than the lower lip. Maintaining this ratio ensures natural-looking, masculine enhancement rather than an “overdone” look.
Best Lip Fillers for Men
Dermal fillers are available in a wide range of formulas with distinct applications. Dr. Emer selects from a range of hyaluronic acid fillers for male lip filler treatments.
Hyaluronic acid fillers work to smooth out wrinkles and provide subtle volume increases by hydrating the treated area. Dr. Emer often relies on Juvederm Volbella, Restylane Kysse, and Restylane Silk when enhancing the lips of his male patients.
What to Know about Lip Filler Treatment
- Lip filler injections typically take 30 to 45 minutes.
- The treatment involves minimal discomfort.
- Small, conservative injections over the course of multiple appointments is often the best approach for men seeking subtle lip enhancement.
- Hyaluronic acid fillers provide temporary results that can last from six to 24 months depending on your metabolism and the type of filler.
- Post-treatment, patients can experience swelling and bruising for about a week.
- You’ll see results within one or two weeks of your injections.
How to Enhance Lip Filler Results
Dr. Emer educates all of his patients on the importance of targeted aftercare protocols to accelerate healing and enhance the results of their cosmetic procedures. Since lip fillers are such a popular treatment and patients always want to see the quickest results possible, he designed the Emerage Cosmetics Lip Injectables Post Care Bundle.
The kit includes:
- LightStim for Pain – This device can be used to deliver a specific type of light energy to the lips. The light energy increases blood circulation to encourage optimal healing and reduce pain.
- Silagen Arnica-Bromelain Complex – The ingredients in this specially formulated supplement work together to quickly resolve post-treatment swelling and bruising. Bromelain and Arnica provide anti-inflammatory benefits to help reduce your recovery time by up to 50%. Vitamin C, zinc, and a variety of antioxidants are also included to further support healing.
- Lucy & Co Lip Plumper – This advanced lip treatment boosts blood circulation for a natural lip-plumping effect within 15 minutes. Additional benefits include smoother, softer lip texture and increased collagen production.
Dr. Emer’s Advice for Men Interested in Lip Fillers
Dr. Emer has been showcasing male facial filler treatments on Instagram and YouTube for years. YouTube videos provide a live-action look at what the treatment involves, and before-and-after pictures prove that lip fillers can provide natural-looking enhancement for men. However, while Dr. Emer has many years of experience using dermal fillers for male facial sculpting, not all providers have the same skill or knowledge when it comes to lip fillers for men.
Dr. Emer’s advice to men seeking lip enhancement with dermal fillers is to use discernment when selecting a provider. Viewing before-and-after photos of other male patients can help you get a good idea of the results you can expect under the care of a particular provider. You should also ask about the provider’s general qualifications and whether he or she is board-certified in dermatology or plastic surgery. If you are in the Beverly Hills or West Hollywood area, you can schedule a consultation at Dr. Emer’s conveniently located, state-of-the-art medical practice.